Sunday 12 September 2010

A couple of quick notes on some recent posh Languedoc.

L’esprit de Font Caude 1996

This was tasted at the Nottingham wine circle which has a lot of very experienced tasters and everybody thought this was not older than 5 years old.I think it’s the way Mr Chabanon makes his wines (impenetrable).I tasted his range at Vinisud and found all the wines really hard, dry and tough(unsalable in my books).
The 1996 was huge and still very closed,possibly needs another 5 years to open.
His wines go to a lot of *** Michelin Restaurants and I can't think how the poor sommelier sells this to his customers.












Domaine de Ravanès Le Prime Verd 1995

Good profile and notes from the wine doctor here. http://www.thewinedoctor.com/languedoc/ravanes.shtml

This is what I think.
This is 100% Petit Verdot ,dark and deep in the glass.
The nose is opening up a little bit and there is dark fruit and meatiness there.
Lots of acidity on the palate and nice grip from the tannins, not a lot of complexity yet and I feel this needs to be given a bit of breathing space in a decanter.
It feels posh but it also feels a bit like Bordeaux, that’s not a bad thing. I just think that if tasted blind I would never have put it in the Languedoc.




No comments:

Post a Comment